Saturday, April 24, 2010

PUBLIC TRANSPORT IS DANGEROUS

So, on Tuesday, I left my friends house about 10pm, and went to get the bus. At the bus stop i bumped into my friend Johnny, which was of course lovely, but was also really fortunate for me, for reasons below.
Johnny and I had a bit of banter about the Election, and then boarded the bus.

Until the on the near deserted bus, a woman threw herself on the floor, and started fitting, banging her head and trying to choke herself.

Jonny, authoritatively, instructed the bus to stop, the bus driver whips out his phone and calls an ambulance, or so we think.

Actually, he was calling the bus depot to let them know he was running late.













So, My blackberry got to call 999 for the first time in its life. I didn't actually make the call, Johnny did.

I can't deal with that kind of pressure. I dread to think how a 4 month old piece of plastic felt.



So Johnny spent 10 minutes trying to explain where we were (My thoughts.....For goodnesssake were a massive bus pulled over on a hill, its not that hard!) whilst I tried to pad the bars the woman was banging her head on and stop her trying to choke herself. She was really strong and I couldn't move her hand, so I just made sure she was still breathing, whilst trying to reassure her. I actually surprised myself, normally in those situations I'm a complete awkward idiot, but I imagine from a Birdseye view I could have been on a cool medical drama like House. Or maybe something more low-budget, like Dr Quinn, Medicine Woman.

So, then the ambulance mooches up, ambulance men walk on....

'Oh, hi Phyllis'
Apparently this woman throws fake fits all the time for attention.

It was quite scary seeing her be strapped down and wheeled off, and really really sad.

Cue *somber mood for rest of journey*
The thing I found most sad about it was how troubled one must be to let yourself be patronised like that.

On Wednesday I started using my bike, far safer. I think.

3 comments:

sparkles said...

hey well done for helping - think I would've freaked!
it is sad that she has to do that for attention - hope they're more friendly to her at the hospital in Leeds than they would be in York...

Becky HK said...

You are a great storyteller Lou!

bex said...

I have nothing of any real value to say to this, except I love you. xxx