Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The rediscovery of the flute in a flooded Maputo bar.

So on my last night in Mozabique we went to a bar. I use that term loosely. It was more of a large hut, that was incredibly flooded (much like the living room at my friends apartment but thats another story) with a small stage. After waiting an hour for a CApirinia (nice coktail, brazil style, google it), we convinced the guy to put an extra shot of sugar cane alcohol in it to compensate for our wait. Bad idea.

I'm not sure if it was the heat or the strength of the cocktail, but one drink certainly rendered me slightly intoxicated. Me and Julia were chatting to many Mozambiquan men, who, of course, are all famous musicians and have all been to London to 'Get to know big ben'

I then mention to one man (Don? I personally thought this name was surprisinlgy english) that I used to play the flute. So he proceeds to tell the guy leading the funk band that are playing on stage this, and lo and behold a flute was produced.

So I go up on stage, and according to popular consesus, rock this flute (I must point out it was a VERY nice flute, I can take no creidt for the sound).
I then proceed to step off the stage, and due to me forgetting the floor is underwater, fall flat on my butt and scrape up my hands. Classy. I think i made it look like part of the act.....

3 comments:

sparkles said...

what happened to the flute?!! ;)

Louise said...

THANKFULLY i put it back in its box before i took a dive~! xx

Laura said...

lol!

That cocktail is the national cocktail of Brazil according to Wiki - we so need one of those for the UK!