Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Mozambique to South Africa.....England to Wales it aint.

Ok so I went with my amazing friend Julia and her amazing parents to the coast in the south of mozambique for a pre christmas chillout a few days ago. Must legitamately be the best beach I have ever seen (if any ex team-brill-obrunis are reading this, i think it outdoes Safari Lodge! Shocker!). As I was reasonably close the the South African border I decided to ´pop over´to ZA for the day.
Apparently there was somewhere in this village that does border transfers so at 5am I got up and went in hunt of it.

I walked the 2 miles down to the village from our campsite (acompanied by a stray dog, who didnt inflict rabies on me) and tried to establish how to find the company that does transfers, or, how to get public transport to the border.

However, there is no public transport to the border. Which makes sense really, as its just a load of sandunes and you need a 4 wheel drive. I find out from some locals the place that does transfers is 'cafe do mar'. no one seems to know where this is. I cannot find it in the village, so walk along the beach (dog still in tow, playing with crabs)in search of wisdom. I ask some more locals a) how to cross the border and B) how I can exchange some dollars as I have no Mozambiquan currency left. The answer to these questions seems to be the same from everyone 'OH! YES! you could do it illegally!!!!' )obviously a cause for great excitement. I decline on both counts.
I ask some reasonably friendly south africans who recommend I try to go cross with border with the police. Er, No. I discover that Cafe Do Mar, is actually called 'Prawns', which is why i cant find it. and its closed til 10am.

I then stumble across a dive resort, and ask some worldly looking divers if they have any ideas. they point me in the direction of an awesome mozambiquan dreadlocked guy with a 4x4 pick up truck, who takes me across the ZA border (about 10 miles) and into the nearest town kwanGeese, in exchange for a bottle of water and a banana. we pick up mnay hitchikers, and get across the border easily.

I have great fun in the town, including making people fall about laughing when I asked them if there is a pay phone anywhere (Africa runs on mobile phones, there was about 70 mobile repair shops in the kwanGeese i went to, which maybe says something for the quality of the phones).

Mr Dreadlock (Raphael) said he would only be in town for one hour, so after 6 hours i decide its time to try and find another lift back.
I go back to the place that Raphael parked and see that his car is still there. Good old Africa Time.
He comes back about 30 mins later, and we proceed to buy some 'Juice' (Petrol). this takes 2 HOURS. No lies. We then drive back to the Mozi border, who proceed to charge me $30 to get back in. (Gah)


Oh and despite turning down offers of illegal money and immigration, I did indulge in smuggling a Mango from ZA to Mozi. (not allowed, apparently.) Its inside me now, having cut it open with a pen as nowhere sells cutlery.

Awesome.

2 comments:

sparkles said...

cheers for the update, you're so brave doing all that - I wouldn't have a clue! x

Paul Campy said...

Still reading, still enjoying hearing your take on your travels and adventures. Hope you have a great, safe, fun '09.