Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas.

It's been really refreshing and interesting to spend christmas in a country that doesnt make a big deal out of it. Christmas in Mozambique was abolished for a few years after independence, as the church was something very much associated with the portuguese colonial rule. It was reinstated later as 'Family day' which is still the term used now, along with the greeting 'Good party'.

I know in England some of us get up in arms about supermarkets being open on Christmas day, but in Mozambique life truly goes on as normal.

People are still trying to sell fish on the market. severely disabled people are still directing traffic in hope of earning a few pence. Old ladies are gossiping on street corners, young men are hanging around dumpsters and children are on the streets trying to sell whatever they can.

Do they know its christmas? I dont think it really matters.....

But in the words of one incredibly jolly market trader with a santa hat on Christmas eve:

'I am closing my stall! I have babies! I must prepare them in their dresses, then I will take them to church tomorrow to THANK GOD! One year is a long time.'

Amen sista!!

No comments: