Sunday, June 27, 2010

8 reasons why dejected England fans should now be supporting Ghana with all their heart and flag.

1. I was supporting Ghana from the start, and I am wise. Follow in my ways.


2. They are the only country with a marked link to the UK left in the tournament: Former colony, LOVE the Queen. One might argue the British weren't always incredibly nice to the country in colonial times, so It'd be a nice peace offering, if a paltry one.

3. It would really suck if we lost our world cup spirit in wake of the Ger-turmoil. I'm not gonna lie, it bought a massive lump to my throat when I saw some Japanese guys crying at the end of the match, and kissing their England shirts goodbye (no, I dont get it either).

4.  Brits can learn a lot from their shameless self confidence. To quote Asamoah Gyan: "I asked God to make me the greatest striker in the world, and he did".


5. Celebration at a Ghanaian foot ball game is awesome. Celebration after a Ghana game is awesome. To quote Marcel Desailly (ITV Commentator from Ghana)
"I can imagine now, there will be dancing, beer, and singing, and there will be a goat just there *points* "

6.They are in the quarter finals, i.e still in the contest.


7. THEY KNOW THEIR NATIONAL ANTHEM!



8. Entertainment factor: Scraps, drama dives, praying on the pitch, yellow cards agogo, more gestures than P-diddy at a night club doing sign language. 



 seriously....wouldn't you rather look like this...






than like this?




(incidentally my fave pic that I have taken so far this summer)

3 comments:

The Golden Latrine said...

Hahaha, love it Louise! That pic of England fans sitting in the detritus is classic.

I'm definitely hoping Ghana get further, although they're going to have to play out of their skins to beat Uruguay - Forlan and Suarez have both been seriously impressive. I'm still rooting for Argentina though, childhood favourites and all. It would be great for Ghana to win it for Africa though (I'd be really interested to know to what extent other African nations are rooting for Ghana to win it...)

Oh, and ***pedant alert*** but "extortionately better"? Surely "exponentially"? Or "astronomically"? Or or or...

Still, I love a good list. Good work.

Louise said...

Yeah, I saw those guys sitting there and thought it was a photo opp. too good to miss. If you are said stars of dejected photos, please contact me for royalties, when I get some.

The rest of Africa are rooting for Ghana, big styleee, except for the Nigerians. Most of their fans are south African now, due to the fact that the Ghanaian government flew 1000 fans out to ZA all expenses paid, then realised it was rather costly so pulled them all back after the group matches ended. Love it.

Paul Campy said...

Loved reading this the first time round; sad to see them exit in that way.